Tel: 01403 780 770

Building and protecting your wealth

TAX TIP TUESDAY: Donating to charities and claiming tax relief this Christmas

Our five minute read, Tax Tips for UK doctors and dentists will help you save tax, get you organised with your tax affairs and make you feel at ease that everything is taken care of.

This article does not constitute advice. Professional advice should be taken prior to acting on any part of it. The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate tax advice. 

Christmas is a time for giving. How to donating to charities and claim tax relief

Christmas is a great time to donate to charity. And, many charities will be grateful for the extra donation at this time of year.

Instead of sending out Christmas cards to colleagues and friends you could choose to gift the money to a local charity or a charity that is personal to you.

Our article, ‘Save tax with charitable donations’ looks at how to donate as a sole trader and limited company. This article focusses on Gift Aid.

Gift Aid rules

Donating as an individual will be tax free if you donate through Gift Aid or if you are donating straight from your wages through Payroll Giving.

Charities and community amateur sports clubs (CASC) must register with HMRC to be included on the Gift Aid register. Once the registration is complete, they can claim back the tax you’ve paid on your donation.

By donating through Gift Aid, the charity or CASC can claim an extra 25p for every £1 donated.

It’s important to note that if the charity or CASC, claim back more tax than what you paid, HMRC may ask you to pay back more tax to cover the difference.

Higher rate tax payers

If you are a higher rate or additional rate tax payer you can claim the difference between the rate you pay and the basic rate on your donation. You can do this through your self-assessment tax return or by contacting HMRC to amend your tax code.

Claiming tax relief sooner

With Gift Aid, you can you claim tax relief on the donations you make in the current tax year. This is available if you want the tax relief sooner or if you aren’t a higher tax rate payer in the current year, but you were in the previous year.

Follow us on for regular financial and mortgage updates

Twitter                     LinkedIn

If you found this article interesting, why not share it?

Meet the Advisers

With over 20 years experience our advisors can help you meet your business and personal goals.

Who we Help

All our clients are doctors and dentists, just like you. As specialists we know your industry inside out.

Info & News

Make this the place you visit to keep up to speed with financial news for your sector.

Contact Us

Wherever you are in the UK we can help you build and protect your wealth.

Get Connected

to our specialist team

Tel: 01403 780 770

Keep Updated

Simply register your name and email below and receive our updates direct to your inbox

Dental & Medical Financial Services News Updates

Just for doctors and dentists

Read more news


Dental and Medical Financial Services is an appointed representative of Best Practice IFA Group Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Company registered in England no. 9158580 Registered office: 1 Market Square, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1EU

© 2014 Dental & medical Financial Services. All rights reserved. Website design by Goldmine Media.